Indonesian para-badminton athletes have made historical achievement for the country at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympic Games. They have snatched two gold, two silver, and two bronze medals in the event that took place from 24 August to 5 September 2021.
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on Sunday (5/9) had a video call with the medalists to congratulate them.
“On behalf of all Indonesian people, I would like to congratulate your for winning gold medals in para-badminton women’s doubles and mixed doubles, for Ratri and Hary in mixed doubles, and Ratri dan Alim in women’s doubles,” President Jokowi said during a video call with the athletes and Chairperson of the National Paralympic Committee (NPC) Indonesia, Senny Marbun, from the Bogor Presidential Palace, West Java.
The President also said that the achievement means a lot for all Indonesians as it was the first gold medal won by Indonesia in 41 years. The two gold medals were bagged by para-badminton women’s doubles pair, Leani Ratri Oktila and Khalimatus Sadiyah, and mixed doubles pair, Leani Ratri Oktila and Hary Susanto.
In the women’s doubles final held at the Yoyogi National Stadium, Leani/Khalimatus defeated Chinese athletes, Cheng Hefang/Ma Huihui 21-18, 21-12.
Meanwhile, Leani Ratri Oktila and Hary Susanto defeated French athletes, Lucas Mazur/Faustine Noel 21-18, 23-21, 21-17, in the mixed doubles final.
“Yesterday’s match was superb, the opponent had a great fighting spirit. I was afraid Ratri and Alim will lose in the second set because there was time when they were behind, but Ratri and Alim successfully caught up the score and be the champion. Ratri and Hary also played a good game; the first set was really close. Good job,” the President said.
In the video call, Chairperson of the National Paralympic Committee (NPC) Indonesia, Senny Marbun, thanked the President and all Indonesian people for their support.
For the record, Indonesian contingent has successfully bagged nine medals; two gold medals, three silver medals, and four bronze medals. Indonesia ranked 43rd among countries participated in the 2020 Tokyo Paralympic Games. The ranking significantly increased compared to that of the 2016 Paralympic Games when Indonesia ranked 76th with one bronze medal.
The medalists in the 2020 Tokyo Paralympic Games are as follows:
- Leani Ratri Oktila/Khalimatus Sadiyah in para-badminton women’s doubles SL3-SU5 (gold);
- Leani Ratri Oktila/Hary Susanto in para-badminton mixed doublesSL3-SU5 (gold);
- Ni Nengah Widiasih, in women’s 41-kilogram para powerlifting(silver);
- Dheva Anrimusthi, in para-badminton men’s singlesSU5 (silver);
- Leani Ratri Oktila, in para-badminton women’s singles SL4 (silver);
- Saptoyogo Purnomo, in athletics, men’s 100metres– T37 (bronze);
- David Jacobs, in table tennis men’s singles class 10(bronze);
- Suryo Nugroho in para-badminton men’s singlesSU5 (bronze); and
- Fredy Setiawan in para-badminton men’s singles SL4 (bronze). (PRESIDENTIAL SECRETARIAT/UN)(RAS/MMB)
The post President Jokowi Thanks Indonesian Medalists in Paralympics appeared first on Sekretariat Kabinet Republik Indonesia.